17 January 2007

History Help

Can someone tell me what this head dress is called? (Click image to enlarge.) I don't think wimple is correct because a wimple is a cloth worn in addition to a hat or head dress -- but I'm new to medieval research. Cowl? Snood? The book from which I found the picture just described it as "a head dress that looks like a turban," which is both obvious and useless. I'd appreciate any help!