07 June 2008

Weekly Announcements - 7 June 08

This week marks the debut of four new contributors to Unusual Historicals: Anita Davison, Elizabeth Lane, Carol A. Spradling, and Lisa Marie Wilkinson. Please join me welcoming them!

***

Born in London, the city's colourful history has always been part of Anita Davison's life. At one time she haunted the National Portrait Gallery, where a painting of James Scott, Duke of Monmouth, caught her attention. Fascinated by the tragedy of this illegitimate son of Charles II, she chose it as a backdrop to a story about an Exeter girl and her family, caught up in the Rebellion of 1685. That novel eventually became DUKING DAYS REBELLION, published by Enspiren Press.

You can read Anita's guest interview here. Glad to have you here, Anita!

***

Known to her friends as a free spirit, Elizabeth Lane has traveled the world in search of new adventures and good stories. But she is most at peace in the mountains of her native Utah. She presently lives in a suburb of Salt Lake City with two spoiled cats. Her novels have been published in ten languages and enjoyed in many parts of the world. Recent titles from Harlequin Historicals include ON THE WINGS OF LOVE and THE STRANGER. Her next release, THE BORROWED BRIDE (November 2008), is a turn-of-the-century western, and she is currently working on a sequel set against the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

Elizabeth has also been a guest contributor here at Unusual Historicals. Welcome aboard, Elizabeth!

***

Carol A. Spradling, author of COST OF FREEDOM from The Wild Rose Press, writes:

As the mother of two teenagers who had become independently mobile, it occurred to them (not me) that I should spend more time pursuing my own interests. In other words--thanks for the car keys, we'll see you later. I stared at the slamming door and realized I needed to rediscover what those interests were.

I have always loved being swept away to historical settings, but the more I read, the more I found myself trying to rewrite the author. When I found myself more frustrated than satisfied, there was no way around it: I had to write. So I surrounded myself with caring, knowledgeable peers and did something I had never done before. I did something for me.
You can read more about Carol's writing in this previous guest interview. Welcome, Carol!

***

Lisa Marie Wilkinson's award-winning debut novel, FIRE AT MIDNIGHT, set in 1703 England, will be published by Medallion press in the spring. A native of Ohio, Lisa Marie grew up in California and now lives in Tennessee, where the people are friendly and the scenery is beautiful. She began her writing career as a lyricist, working in collaboration with composer Marti Schwartz. A voracious reader of all types of fiction, she devoted her spare time to working on the idea that became FIRE AT MIDNIGHT, her first completed novel. Her fiction has been honored with awards from over 60 writing contests.

Welcome to Unusual Historicals, Lisa Marie!

***

Anne Whitfield has been interviewed by the good ladies at Joyfully Reviewed. Check it out!

***

Erastes has been busy racking up the quality reviews. Coffee Time Romance writes of "Chiaroscuro" from NIGHT MOVES VOLUME I:
This story was my favorite in this anthology. The love and caring the characters feel for each other is beautiful. Erastes has a marvelous imagination and way with words. I am now a fan from this one story and urge you to buy this book for this story if nothing else.
And Love Romances and More writes:
Wonderfully well written and highly entertaining, each story is like a piece of candy to be savored and enjoyed. These fabulous four authors weave their stories one right after the other and the reader finds themselves drawn to each gem.
About Erastes' newest release, "Hard & Fast," from the anthology SPEAK ITS NAME, The Erotic Reader offers this:
My favorite story from SPEAK ITS NAME was "Hard and Fast" by Erastes. Not only is the setting one of my preferred historical settings (Regency England), there was a lot more development of the physical relationship between the two heroes than happened in either of the two previous stories. Also, the tension between Geoffrey and Adam kept me reading. I fell in love with this story and will probably read it again.
You can purchase NIGHT MOVES VOLUME I here and SPEAK ITS NAME here, and each link includes an excerpt.

***

Join us Sunday when Michelle Styles will be discussing and giving away a copy of her latest release, VIKING WARRIOR, UNWILLING WIFE, which has already received a glowing review from The Good, the Bad and the Unread:

Not knowing much about the Vikings, there was a great feel to the book. More than just pirates, pillagers and marauders, Styles gives all the Vikings, noble or villainous good characterization and makes it all seem rather real. The lifestyle, the customs and the protocols all make the most sense with the small amount that I do know about Viking culture and history. I'll have to give Vikings more chances, especially if Styles writes them.
***

We'll also draw the winner of a copy of Blythe Gifford's INNOCENCE UNVEILED. Leave a comment for your shot at winning.

***

Have a good weekend. If you have an announcement to make for next week, email Carrie. See you next week...