08 December 2006

Friday Discussion Question

Good morning! I hope the holiday season is treating everyone well.

I'm posting a discussion question in the hopes of getting to know each other better. So what are you writing about today? In other words, pitch your work in progress: time, locale, and whatever else you'd like to share. Or, if another project is keeping you busy today, feel free to share that as well.

As for myself, I am on Chapter Two of my Robin Hood-ish WIP, editing 15 pages a day on Serenade, and struggling to complete the last of my Christmas shopping. Have a good weekend!


Michelle Styles said...

WIP: Victorian Christmas
Locale:Newcastle upon Tyne

Firm deadline: 20 Dec. This one is already in the schedule for next Dec in the UK. It is the North half of duo offering from Mills and Boon. Helen Dickson is doing the South country house Christmas. I get the North Industrial one...with a self-made man for a hero.

Approx one chapter from end of first draft.

Should finish tomorrow, she says with hope in her voice...

Eliza said...

WIP: Set in 1917, a young woman, recently inducted into society, deals with war at home and abroad. The story focuses on protection rackets against Brooklyn dock workers, and how Anna Thatcher deals with her rich, dangerous past while wrestling with her new life amongst New York's old money.

The prologue is written, and I'm quite happy with it. I just need to finish off the first chapter, and I think I'll be able to work on it some today...especially since I forgot to bring my volunteer work to the hotel. Fortunately, there's a Starbucks in the lobby, so if I get the time to work, I'll be able to enjoy it fully!

I need a deadline for this. Anyone want to give me one?

Delia DeLeest said...

I've been a very sluggy writer lately, just can't seem to get in the mood. But, I did start something last week. Set in the 1920's a young flapper/vampire falls in love with a bootlegger/werewolf, much to the displeasure of their fueding clans. The idea came from a discussion we had about a role playing game a bunch of us at Romance Divas are playing. Since we're a bunch of writers, we're not happy with simply playing the stupid game, we've got to make up entire histories for our RPG characters. :D

Eliza said...

Deelia! Are you on MonstersGame? I'm an RD clan member, too: Penance. My sister-in-law is Acton and my dear friend is Danvers.

Geez, I'm sounding like a total geek now, aren't I?

carrie_lofty said...

You wouldn't be on this list if you weren't a geek!

And Eliza, I just started chapter two. I've set my deadline is March 15 for first draft. Want to join me? That figures about 1000 words a day for a 90,000 word MS.

Vicki Gaia said...

Revising my WIP ~ Eliza's Hope to resubmit it to my editor. I hope to finish editing by this weekend! This story takes place in NYC during 1913 ~ and it's about a woman with a past trying to forge a new life that doesn't include marriage and family. She gets involved with the suffragette movement and with the Greenwich Village crowd, to the dismay of her handsome guardian who's falling in love with her.

Hey, I'm an avid RPGamer ~ but never heard of MonstersGame?

Delia DeLeest said...

Yep Eliza, I'm Hotstuff. :D

Eliza said...

Carrie -- You have such a good point! We need a little icon/tag that touts our geekdom!

Vicki -- I'm really, really interested in your story! It sounds right up my alley, and I love NYC's history around that point.

Deelia -- Sweet! I'll see you around there, too, eh?

Jacquie said...

I just finished editing a short story set in 1199 and am currently editing a story set in 1814.

The stories and periods in Faery Special Romances are:

Faery Much in Love, 1199
Much Ado About Faeryies, 1597
Faeries of the Caribbean, 1655
Faery Thee Well, 1750
My Faery Lady, 1814
A Faery Good Bet, 1850
Duchess and the Dirtwater Faery, 1880
Faery Foxy Flapper, 1926
Faery Hot Date, contemporary
Faery Good Advice, contemporary

Plus, I'm working on a fantasy set in the late-1400's.

All that said, I'm really a western writer and have 5 books in the trunk. Oh, and I wrote a futuristic set in 2497.


Christine Koehler said...

Currently, I’m finishing up a contemporary, which should be finished by the end of the month. For some reason, I always pick the busiest months to have deadlines. Makes me feel better, I suppose, in some weird way.

That said, I’m also working on Bloodlines, set in 1793-1796 New Orleans. There’s no deadline for that one. I’ll give myself a year only because there’s this contemporary to finish, then the other 3 in the series. This particular historical has a back burner status for now.

Camilla said...

I'm plotting an Edwardian trilogy(could turn out to be quartet) about American heiresses in Edwardian Europe. As for deadlines, my mom challenged me to get a good chunk of the first draft of the first part of the trilogy/quartet completed by the end of January.