04 December 2006

What's So Unusual?


I recently read a great book by Aysel Arwen set in ancient Egypt. Not only was it a terrific story, but I loved the setting. What could be more intriguing than murder and mayhem in the pharoah's royal harem? A friend of mine, Gerri Russell, will have her first book released in January. It's called The Warrior Trainer, and the warrior trainer is a woman. That's unusual.

Historical romances are my favorite reads by far. Don't you just love to be swept away to a different world where people lived differently than they do now--before microwaves and iPods, to a land where moral values shape cultures that are foreign to our modern thinking?
Or maybe we could be whisked to a totally made-up world, with princesses and dragons and elves. I love fantasy, too. Thanks to LOTR and Harry Potter, we have lots of fantasies from which to choose, and many of them are either historical or alternate-world historical.

So for me, "unusual" is defined not just by setting, but also by concept as well as otherworldly elements. I love 'em all!

Welcome to Unusual Romances, and greetings to my sister "Unusuals." Uh, maybe we should come up with a nickname for ourselves . . .

TTFN!
Jacquie

P.S.: I'd love for you to drop by my myspace page!


2 comments:

Kim Iverson Headlee said...

RE: the female trainer of warriors.
Unusual in publication, perhaps, but not unprecedented in history. If memory serves there was an Irish woman (Scatha? something like that - my research library lies two snow-covered pastures away at the moment!) who did that very thing. My Guinevere character (Gyanhumara) does this, to an extent, for the young Lancelot (Angusel) in DAWNFLIGHT.

RE: what should we call ourselves?
Heh. Well, to borrow from an ancient 7-Up slogan, we could call ourselves the "Un-Writers" ... !

Kim
Kim D Headlee
Author, LIBERTY, writing as Kimberly Iverson, HQN Books, ISBN 0373771347, on sale now
Author, DAWNFLIGHT, ISBN 0671020412
Contributor, THE FANTASY WRITER'S COMPANION, ISBN 1896944159

Jacquie said...

Gerri Russell's warrior trainer character is Scotia. I haven't read the book yet, but I have the ARC. The release date is Jan. 4, so I'm excited to get a copy of the real deal, complete with cover and everything!

Jacquie