06 April 2007

I got The Call!

Okay, not THE Call . . . i.e., that blessed moment of finding out an editor wishes to acquire one of your manuscripts. But, I did receive news via telephone this morning that LIBERTY has finaled in the Historical category of the 2007 HOLT Medallion contest, sponsored by the Virginia Romance Writers!

The HOLT Medallion, as I understand it, is one of the most prestigious romance writing awards for published novels after the RITA . . . and shortlisting this year with LIBERTY is particularly rewarding for me, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, according to the contest coordinator, it's the first year the committee decided to combine Long Historicals and Short Historicals into a single entry category, so the competition, including international entrants, was twice as stiff--and LIBERTY had to overcome the additional hurdle of my unwittingly having sent in printer-flawed copies (whew!).

And second, as I shared with the coordinator, when DAWNFLIGHT was published in late 1999, and I was busily entering it into as many contests as existed in those days, somehow I missed hearing about the HOLT Medallion contest until after the submission deadline -- and since I was residing in northern Virginia at the time (VRW is based in Richmond), I really had no excuse! She & I shared a good laugh over that rather sheepish admission of mine. :) The other nice thing is that Richmond is only about a 4-hour drive from my farm, and there is a high likelihood that I will be able to attend the award announcement, which will be held in conjunction with VRW's June meeting.

All of this, while literally in the midst of packing for a quick jaunt from my farm in southwestern Virginia to Knoxville for the Smoky Mountain Romance Writers' 10th annual Mountain Laurel conference, where I will be rooming tonight with our very own Deborah Brent!

And, omygosh, it's time to sign off & hit the road...Happy Easter to everyone and I'll catch up with y'all next week!


Tess said...

Congrats, Deborah - THAT's FANTASTIC!!!! Fingers crossed :)

Delia DeLeest said...

Wonderful news. Major congratulations!

Anne Whitfield - author said...

Wonderful news, Deborah!

Morag McKendrick Pippin said...

Yes, the HOLT is very prestigious. My editor was very proud I won it two years in a row.
Best of luck on winning the Medallion!

Michelle Styles said...


My one quarrel with the HOLT was that it did not take credit cards (or rather not that I could find). Anyway, I know it is the probably the most prestigous of the chapter run contests.

DeborahBrent said...

It was wonderful to put a face with a name. Kim was walking on cloud nine all weekend. SMRW is my home chapter, but I had very little to do with organizing this conference. The members did a wonderful job. It was wonderful, small conference.

I'm glad to see Liberty getting recognition. It is a good story, and not your usual historical romance. If you love stories set in the ancient world, this is the one to read.

DeborahBrent said...

I appreciate the encouragement, but it was Kim who finaled in the Holt, not me. She roomed with me this past weekend.

Bonnie Vanak said...

Congratulations! Great news!!

Sandra Schwab said...

Belated congrats, Kim! I hope you had a conference-celebration that included strawberries and sparkling wine. Or at least chocolate! :)

Wonderful news!

Kim Iverson Headlee said...

THANK YOU ALL, and I'm sorry for the confusion -- that's what I get for trying to dash off a quick post before dashing off to a conference...!

For the curious, the complete list of 2007 HOLT Medallion finalists is posted here.

RE: Credit cards (or not, in this case). Yes I found that unusual, too, given their fancy online entry form - and since many other chapters have gone to accepting this form of payment via Paypal, which is particularly handy for international currency conversions. But Paypal does charge sellers wishing to accept credit cards a fee for EVERY transaction (usually $0.30 + 2.9% of the transaction amount), regardless of whether the buyer uses a credit card or not. This may have factored in to VRW's decision not to accept credit card payments ... it certainly factored into my decision to close down my Ebay storefront, where I used to sell copies of my books and other items.

~Kim "Kimberly Iverson" Headlee