10 June 2007


I still have two hours before my day to post is lost! Wacky weekend - posting completely slipped my mind. Saw Pirates 3 last night (yum and yes, it was good. I loved it), then today we celebrated Christmas with one side of my family. Yes, I said Christmas. We tried in January, but no go. February, March, April, May there was always something to do or someone couldn't make it. June it was. There were Christmas wrapped presents, we had a tree (with lights!) and Christmas cookies. No, we didn't sing, but may have completely confused the 5 and unders with our talk of Merry Christmas!

We've decided it might become a trend. You know start one now rather than jump on the bandwagon in a few years when it's so popular.

My original post was going to be on some historical thing, but now it's on character quirks. I once read a book (I'm terrible at titles and this was so long ago I couldn't tell you an author if you wrote it out for me) where the heroine never cursed. She had a potty mouth and bet someone that she could stop cursing anytime she wanted. Instead of even a simple 'damn,' she used wild terms to express her curses. It was a small point story-wise, but it obviously stuck out in a story that I otherwise couldn't tell you a word of.

Quirks go to characterization, to rounding out your plot. What are your favorites? What are so annoying that you couldn't even finish the story because of a trait? What are your character's idiosyncrasies?


Tess said...

Hmmm, well, something like cracking knuckles would drive me nuts. But that's the only one that comes to mind right now - though I'm sure there are others.

Quirks that appeal are ones that grow directly from who the character is. Does that make sense?

Liz Clare said...

Into the Wilderness, the mostly excellent book by Sara Donati, drove me crazy with the constant "raising a brow" by the various characters. How many people even can raise one eyebrow, let alone do it every other page?

When I went back through my book to do some editing, I had to cut out a great many instances of my character pushing his sweaty bangs off his forehead!

co-author of "To the Ends of the Earth: The Last Journey of Lewis & Clark"
Silver Medalist, Independent Publisher Book Awards

Delia DeLeest said...

I had a heroine who had very little self-esteem. Whenever she ate out, she always ordered whatever her dining companion ordered, figuring that they'd do much better at ordering than she would. Near the end, when she began to assert her independence, she ordered her own meal.