16 June 2007

Research in the 21st century...

Last week I had a question about visitors and the British Museum in the late 18th century. I had already searched the museum website and found some information, but not in enough details. So I took the chance and emailed them. Within 3 days I had a detailed response with an offer to help more if I needed it. Cool, huh?

When I first started doing serious historical research 20 years ago, I'd have had to write a letter and wait for it to cross the pond, be opened, read and responded to, then posted back to me. All told, I'd guess that would take at least a month, if not more.

The internet may have its downsides, but for those of us researching the past of a country across the ocean, it's a huge boon.

What other research benefits are there out in cyberspace? Check out these sites:

Arts and Humanities at Intute - reviews of History resources on the web
BBC History - a comprehensive site with loads of information
HistoryWorld - world history site with timelines and more
Food Timeline - just what it says - with great articles
Center for History and New Media - a treasure trove for historians hosted by George Mason University

I could keep going and going *g*.

What's your favourite internet research resource?

Teresa