02 November 2008

Book Party: Elizabeth Lane

This week we welcome one of our newest Unusual Historicals contributors, Elizabeth Lane, as she celebrates the release of her newest book from Harlequin Mills & Boon, THE BORROWED BRIDE, set in 1899 Colorado.

***

Footloose young Quint Seavers runs off to the Klondike, not knowing that he's left his childhood sweetheart Hannah in a family way. When Quint can't be reached, it's up to his older brother Judd to do the right thing and marry the poor girl—in name only of course, and just until Quint comes home.

The marriage catapults Hannah into a new life. The big house on the Seavers Ranch is like a palace, ruled by Quint's antagonistic mother. Judd, her new husband, is brusque and remote. But something in his haunted eyes cries out for Hannah's understanding. What will happen when she finds herself falling in love with the husband who's vowed to treat her as a sister?
***

Tell us about yourself.

I'm a westerner by birth and upbringing. My grandparents lived like pioneers, and my great-grandparents were pioneers. I grew up in a small town, in a family of people who loved the outdoors. Maybe that's why writing Western romance comes so naturally to me. But I can and do write other things. My earliest books were historical sagas. Then the market changed and I found a new home at Harlequin Historicals. Counting a couple of ghost writing projects, I'm coming up on 32 books. Twenty-five of those have been for Harlequin--three of them contemporaries, the rest historicals.

Tell us about your new book, THE BORROWED BRIDE.

THE BORROWED BRIDE is a November 2008 release from Harlequin Historicals. It has just been nominated for Best Western of 2008 by the Love Western Romances.

Since it's set in the American West, what qualifies THE BORROWED BRIDE as an unusual historical?

This classic love story could take place almost anywhere and in any time period. I chose to set it on a Colorado ranch on the cusp of the 19th and 20th Centuries. As one reviewer put it, the two brothers in the story symbolize the changing times. Quint is a throwback to the adventurous, pioneering 1800s. Judd's focus is forward, to the growth of the future and what it will do for his family.

What do you do when you're not writing?

I love adventure. Over the years I've lived in Mexico, Guatemala, Panama and Germany and traveled to such exotic spots as China, Nepal, Tanzania and Peru. I've chased whales in a rubber boat, rafted the grand canyon and taken a flying lesson. When I'm not writing I like to be moving--I belly dance, hike and do yoga. I also volunteer as a zoo docent and enjoy teaching children about animals. After 23 years working as an educational software designer, I finally get to write full time. I like to think my writing career is just getting started!

***

REVIEW QUOTES:

"THE BORROWED BRIDE is another breathtaking, romantic story by Elizabeth Lane. With Mrs. Lane's masterful penmanship the characters come alive weaving a flawless story the reader won't be able to put down." Dina Smith, Romance Junkies

"5 Spurs! With well-crafted characters and a difficult dilemma, this story will keep you turning the page as it captures your heart." Carol, Love Western Romances

"If you have never read one of Elizabeth Lane's books before prepare yourself for a poignant emotional attack. I am always amazed by the impact her books have on me. Without fail, she finds the perfect words to convey a complete picture. You feel the force of not only the emotions of her characters but their setting as well." Kim Swiderski, Writers Unlimited

***

We posted an excerpt of THE BORROWED BRIDE last week for our Thursday Excerpts feature. Check it out.

***

High praise for a much-anticipated Western. If you'd like a shot at winning a copy of THE BORROWED BRIDE, leave a comment or questions for Elizabeth. We'll draw the lucky winner in one week. Thanks for stopping by!