13 September 2009

Guest Author: Jean Adams

This week we're helping contributor Jean Adams talk about her latest historical romance from Highland Press, ETERNAL HEARTS, which is a time-travel set in ancient Egypt. Here's the blurb:

She found the love of her life, 3000 years too late.

When Alexandra Kelly returns a broadcollar to Egypt she is swept through a time portal on a breathtaking, yet terrifying journey to a land of majesty and splendour, the land of the pharaohs.

Death is Lord Khafra's fate if he embarks upon his dangerous quest. Can Alex's arrival save him from his date with a lonely, fiery death? Together they find love and face terrible danger and hardship but the sexy charioteer could make any woman believe the gods were smiling on her.

But at the next full moon Alex must return to the 21st century and Khafra will have been dead for 3000 years.
***

Why did you write this story?

I've been besotted with ancient Egypt ever since I first saw The Ten Commandments. That wasn't what I supposed to see, I know, but since that time I've read anything an everything I could lay my hands on about the ancient Egyptians. I've discovered they are not the villains of the peace they have long been made out to be. Quite the opposite in fact. They were very tolerant and advanced, as far as ancient civilisations could be, and I wanted to help set the record straight.

Did you come up with the title or did the publisher think of it?

The title is mine. The Egyptians believed in eternity long before vampires staked their claim on it (no pun intended). That's why they built those magnificent tombs and pyramids. They were supposed to last to the end of time--into eternity.

What is the story about?

Alexis Kelly, falls through a time portal and goes back to ancient Thebes. Lord Khafra, the hero, finds her and takes her home. She must stay three-and-a-half years in the past for month, until the moon shifts round to full again. During that time she encounters a near-death experience, and takes part in the greatest house move in history--when Akheneten moved the then capital, Thebes, to Ahketaten. Alex journeys down the Nile on his luxurious barge to the desert wasteland that will be her new home. Matters get worse when Khafra is arrested for treason against the king. But time is running short and Lord Khafra must escape to get her back to the 21st century so he can clear his name.

Why made you choose the time of Akhenaten and Nefertiti?

I had two choices. That dynasty or another, about a thousand years into Egypt's future. I procrastinated for about two years trying to decide which time period to go for. I finally realised that this was a very exciting and colorful time in Egypt's history, and was a story that people would probably recognise, so I opted for 1300 BC. Once I made my decision thankfully, it worked. I started writing and the story it fairly flew off my fingers. It didn't take long to get the first draft done.

How much research did you have to do?

Thankfully, not too much because I'd read many books and websites already but I kept checking my facts. We will never know some of the small, personal details, so I used romance writer's licence there. One of the things I had to cut out of the book includes the original Egyptian version of the Cinderella story. And I'm sure that Nofret and Rahotep would be happy to know they are still married three-and-a-half thousand years later. True eternal hearts.

What's next for Jean Adams?

I'm developing a trilogy set in ancient Egypt, not time travel this time, but I've just had to take a full time job after my business went belly up, so it will probably take longer than I'd hoped!

***

Thanks for stopping by, Jean! Leave a comment or question for Jean to be entered in a drawing for a copy of ETERNAL HEARTS, which will be available from Highland Press very soon. Void where prohibited. Best of luck!