28 February 2010

Guest Author: Erica Ridley

This week we're welcoming Kensington author Erica Ridley as she celebrates the release of debut novel, TOO WICKED TO KISS. Although set in Regency England, TOO WICKED TO KISS has a tasty kick of Gothic suspense to set pulses racing. Look below for details on how to win a signed copy.

His Touch Holds Her Captive...

From the ravens circling its spires to the gargoyles adorning its roof, Blackberry Manor looms ominously over its rambling grounds. And behind its doors, amid the flickering shadows and secret passageways, danger lies in wait...

To His Every Dark Desire...

Evangeline Pemberton has been invited to a party at the sprawling estate of reclusive Gavin Lioncroft, who is rumored to have murdered his parents. Initially, Gavin's towering presence and brusque manner instill fear in Evangeline...until his rakish features and seductive attentions profoundly arouse her.

But when a guest is murdered, Evangeline is torn. Could the man to whom she is so powerfully drawn, also be a ruthless killer?
***

"Snappy dialogue, passionate scenes and a dead body move the story along at a swift pace. If this debut is a sign of books to come, then I hope Ridley has a prolific career. This one is a gem!" ~ Romance Junkies

"TOO WICKED TO KISS is one of those delicious gothic-style historical romances that will have you turning pages as quickly as you can." ~ Enduring Romance

"For anyone who is looking for a great mystery and poignant love story, this is a story not to be missed." ~ Smokin' Hot Books

"TOO WICKED TO KISS is a captivating page-turner that tests one's puzzle solving skills while tapping into a whole gamut of emotions. Super love story and so much more!" ~ Long and Short Romance Reviews

***

What's so unusual about Evangeline Pemberton?

Evangeline is cursed with a psychic "gift" she can't turn off: visions of other people's memories overwhelm her every time she has skin-to-skin contact, which come accompanied by vicious migraine headaches. Or worse. She grew up without basic experiences most of us take for granted--playing with children, dancing, a hug when we need it most. Instead, more than one opportunist seeks to use her for their own gain. This is a woman who aches to reach out... and almost literally cannot.

What's so unusual about Gavin Lioncroft?

There are those who say Lioncroft has killed before, and would cheerfully do so again. (Lioncroft himself has been overheard uttering this very statement.) Unfortunately for him, the one person he'd most like to help to an early grave gets murdered before Gavin has an opportunity to do the honors--and he finds himself the obvious suspect. He must earn the trust of the one person who trusts no one, lest he find himself hanging for murder.

Have you ever been somewhere like Blackberry Manor?

Yes, in the sense that I drew heavily on my experiences and impressions of various Gothic castles and churches I'd visited. And no, in the sense that my imagination took the skeleton of an idea and ran with it. If Blackberry Manor really did exist, I would love to visit. Particularly if there were a chance of meeting a man like Gavin!

Did you get some special news this week?

Why yes, yes I did. I'm delighted and honored to discover that Too Wicked To Kiss is a March book club pick for Barnes and Noble! I'll be hanging out at the book club forums all month, so please stop by! The link is here.

That's fabulous! And you're giving away a copy to a commenter?

Absolutely. If you'd like to win an autographed copy of TOO WICKED TO KISS, just click here to get your very own Madlibs-style psychic vision, then paste the result in the comments.

***

Thanks for stopping by, Erica!

Erica will be around all week to answer questions and giggle with you over your do-it-yourself psychic visions, so please comment! I'll draw the random winner next Sunday. Void where prohibited. Best of luck!

24 comments:

Amber Leigh Williams said...

Congrats on the big B&N news, Erica! That's wonderful!

Scorpio M. said...

"When a loved one leaves to sow his oats, take heart. There is more than meets the eyes. Stay strong, and stay lovely. It ain't over until the sweet lady sings."

Hi Erica -

LOL, really enjoyed your interactive site. I loved Madlibs as a child!

I am a fan of Gothic inspired romances so I am REALLY looking forward to your new debut. You already have an advantage over Charlotte Bronte in my eyes. Mr. Rochester just never inspired much in me. Now, Gavin Lioncroft, just by the snippets I read...very, very interesting man. "Virile and handsome," too. Enough said :)

You mentioned that you have actually visited many Gothic castles and churches. I travel often and would love to know where some of these sights are, if you don't mind.

Also, what are your plans following the release of TWTK? are there more books to come?

Thanks!

Erica Ridley said...

Amber: Thank you! I am sooo excited about it!

Scorpio: Mmmm, I think you and Gavin Lioncroft will get along just fine!! ;-)

I'm a frequent traveler, too--in fact, I actually just returned home last month from spending a year in Europe! I got to see so many fabulous sights, and Gothic architecture remains one of my favorite styles.

A few include Prague Castle, Neuschwanstein in Bavaria, Buda Castle, Notre Dame, Ca' d'Oro in Venice, Basilicas in Pisa, Florence, Syracusa, and Bologna, and cathedrals in Barcelona, Toledo, Sevilla, and Segovia. Love them all!!

Erica Ridley said...

Oops, totally failed to answer part b of your question! Yes, there's a connected book tentatively titled Too Sinful To Deny which will release in 2011, and hopefully many more after that! =)

Virginia said...

Congrats on your new book! I love to read authors debut books and I would love to read this one. Love the cover and love mystery in a book. Do you enjoy the research part of writing?

My reading this was a lot of fun. Love your website!

Although you feel stuck between a rock and hard virginia, do not travel to the 7 corners of the earth in search of a beautiful book. Patience. scotland wasn't built in a 2 weeks.

Candy G said...

You may believe tomorrow's challenges to be determinded, but as long as you glide smoothly, your success will be as easy as chocolate pie. After all, you can catch more flies with cookies than with cabbages.

Not sure if I did this right, but sounds good to me! LOL
Congrats and I can't wait to read the book!
cgorcsi AT hotmail DOT com

Erica Ridley said...

Virginia:
"Scotland wasn't built in 2 weeks." Ha! I totally cracked myself up making the do-it-yourself psychic vision generator. Hahaha

I do very much enjoy the research! Although it might more rightly be referred to as "productive procrastination"...

Erica Ridley said...

Candy:
Mmm, chocolate pie... wait, what were we talking about? LOL. I am such a foodie, even the cabbages sound good to me! =)

Jane said...

Congrats on your debut release, Erica. This is my psychic vision: A colleague a few witches short of a building will start an argument tomorrow. Don't succumb to the temptation to stand in public. If the pants fits, wear it. Those who run in glass houses shouldn't throw spies.

Carrie F. said...

The BIG day is just around the corner!!! Congrats for the hundredth time...I can't wait to head to the bookstore and see your book displayed among other published authors!!

Super excited for all of the great reviews you keep getting....looking forward to reading the rest of your book and finally finding out "who did it!"

Here's my reading (done with the help of 2 nosey children...)

"Feeling low because a goody eight-shoes said you have a finger only a mother could run? Think about children. A daisy by any other name would smell as noisy."

M. said...

It bears repeating so I'll say it again: you had me at gargoyle.

Recently read Eve Silver's most recent gothic and enjoyed it thoroughly, so I'm very encouraged to try another story in that style.

And I love reading debut authors! Wishing you megasales and a long career. Now off to visit the site.

Chelsea B. said...

Here is what mine said: "A colleague a few gloves short of a scotland will start an argument tomorrow. Don't succumb to the temptation to run in public. If the shoes fits, wear it. Those who jump in glass houses shouldn't throw leopards." Hahahaha! Love it! Too Wicked To Kiss sounds fabulous! I can't wait to read it! And I've said it before, but I love the cover!!

M. said...

hahaha!
here's my psychic prediction:

When a loved one leaves to sow his floral oats, take heart. There is more than meets the elbow. Stay strong, and stay curious. It ain't over until the gratuitous patissier sings.

Scorpio M. said...

Thanks, Erica. Wow a full year in Europe? That would be a dream for me.

I've been to Notre Dame, Pisa & Florence, flew by Barcelona (so I must revisit) and adored Sevilla. I took note of your mentions and hope to make it to those locales.

Congrats on your debut!

Alison said...

Mine was "A colleague a few hymns short of a tree will start an argument tomorrow. Don't succumb to the temptation to stroke in public. If the chemise fits, wear it. Those who take in glass houses shouldn't throw sandwiches." I don't thyink I'm very good at this psychic lark, but the book sounds a ripping read!

Virginia C said...

Hi, Erica! Just the title alone, "Too Wicked To Kiss", is enough to set imaginations spinning at a furious pace!

My fortune: Within a fortnight or 2, you shall have the misfortune to encounter a compelling, dark, and brooding prophet. This mysterious stranger will be the harbinger of many disturbing dreams.

I'm waiting : )

Erica Ridley said...

Jane: Bwahahaa. I love these psychic visions! They crack me up. =)

Carebear: Yay!!! Me too... I'm getting text messages from people who've seen the book in their local stores (Rob sent me a photo from Nashville!) but so far I haven't. I want to go tomorrow, on the official release day... definitely a scrapbooking moment!!!

M: LOL, great vision! Enduring Romance recently reviewed 2W2K (http://bit.ly/aGWL28) and mentioned it would appeal to fans of Eve Silver, so I hope you do enjoy the book!!

Chelsea: Thank you!! (And your psychic vision is awesome! LOL)

Erica Ridley said...

Scorpio: It was a total dream for me, too! A lot of stars aligned just so to in order to make it happen, not the least of which was one of my friends being in the market for an apartment, who I was able to talk into renting my house instead! I was very lucky. Let me know if you do make it to any of those places--I love hearing travel stories!!

Alison: Your horoscope is fabulous... and a little risque! Hahaha. Hope you love the book!

Virginia: Mmmmmm, excellent prognosis! What do I have to do to get a compelling, dark, brooding stranger to disturb MY dreams? (Oh wait, I've got that... mmm, Gavin Lioncroft... ;-)

CrystalGB said...

Hi Erica. Your book sounds great. Love the cover. Here are my quiz results:
Feeling low because a goody 3-shoes said you have a chest only a mother could run? Think about guys. A rose by any other name would smell as sunny.

Maureen said...

That was fun. Mine is:

A colleague a few dogs short of a lady will start an argument tomorrow. Don't succumb to the temptation to sing in public. If the shirt fits, wear it. Those who ran in glass houses shouldn't throw children.

Erica Ridley said...

LOL, those are great horoscopes!! =)

Mitzi H. said...

"Within a fortnight or 1, you shall have the misfortune to encounter a chewy, dark, and big queen. This mysterious stranger will be the harbinger of many beautiful bees."

Hahaha....That's fun.

Congrats on the release!!! Sounds like a great novel!!! Count me in!!!

Erica Ridley said...

"a chewy, dark, and big queen" - Bwahahahahaaa! Love it!!

Razlover's Book Blog said...

Hi Erica,

Congrats on your new release and I love the cover!

Great interview and "Too Wicked To Kiss" is a book I would love to read!

Thanks for a chance and good luck everyone!