29 April 2013

Meet Michelle Styles


Long time UH contributor Michelle Styles writes warm, witty, and intimate historical romance, mainly for Harlequin Historical. She has written over20 full length novels for them plus several shorter works. She writes in a number of time periods and indeed her first book for Harlequin Historical in 2006 was also the first time  they had published an ancient Roman historical.
Although she has had forays into Regency and Victorian (including her latest An Ideal Husband? -- published this month), Michelle has recently convinced The Powers That Be that she should be writing more Vikings. Her next published book Paying the Viking Price will be out in Novmeber 2013.  There are two more Vikings waiting to be scheduled as well.

Here is a bit more about Michelle in her own words:

Part of Michelle's over grown garden
Although born and raised near San Francisco, California, I traded the west coast sunshine and lifestyle in for the much colder climate of Northumberland, U.K. when aged 24, I married my husband. Completely changing my life and leaving my family was probably the most foolhardy but romantic thing I have ever done.  I was young enough not to consider the consequences but I’ve never regretted doing it. One of the biggest things to help me get over the initial homesickness and culture shock was discovering that Mills and  Boon were the same as  my beloved escapist reads from Harlequin.


Some of Michelle's ducks and hens on the back lawn.

Currently I live a mile south of Hadrian's Wall with my husband, three children who are off at university but still return home on occasion loaded down with laundry, two Border collies and a cat who is convinced he is an editor. To Americans, I sound English and to the British, I sound American.  When pressed, I say I speak both American and English as the two countries are often separated by a common language.  I’ve always been an avid reader, with an interest in history but really I read anything, preferably romance but have resorted to cereal packets in desperation before. 
Michelle's cat in editorial mode when
 she was plotting latest Viking.
Writing means I put my imagination to good use rather than inflicting it on my family. And writing for Mills &Boon has been a real dream come true, made all the sweeter by the fact that my mother used to tell me that reading romance would never bring me the career I wanted.



When I am not writing, reading or doing research, I tend my rather overgrown garden which also home to assorted ducks and hens,  or do needlework, in particular counted cross-stitch.  I also love baking and have made my own bread for years. Kneading is particularly good when trying to figure out plot problems. But because I like to eat, I also exercise for about an hour and a half every morning.

You can read more about Michelle Styles and her upcoming books on her website: www.michellestyles.co.uk