15 December 2006

Friday Discussion Question

Good morning, ladies. First up, let me welcome our new members! Next, Kimberly's Liberty just showed up with a B+ review on Dear Author. Yay Kim! And last thing, for admin purposes, please let me know if you would like to update the book info I've included in the sidebar. Have a new release coming out? Something else you'd like to feature? E-mail Carrie.

As for me, I will be leaving for a three-week trip to England to spend the holidays with my husband's family. We have not been "home" in just over two years, so this is a really big event for us. However, vacationing in the kingdom of dial-up means that I'll be out of e-contact for many a day. I'll be able to check e-mail, but blog updates will be few.

Otherwise, here's our holiday themed discussion question: what is your writing strategy during this season of family fun, tradition, and distractions? Are you working? Are you waiting until the new year? Are you sneaking away from games of Trivial Pursuit with the in-laws to type like mad for a few minutes? Me, I've been cramming in 500 words a day between tree decorating and classic films. While saving the tough stuff for January, I am still making steady, quality progress through this month.

Now it's your turn -- let's hear your strategies!

9 comments:

Sandy Schwab said...

Waiting for the new year? Bwahahaha! *hysterical, mad laughter* I hope I'll manage to gain some ground on my current wip AND correct some student papers AND write two articles AND ... er ...

Could somebody pass me some more weeks for stretching December? Two additional weeks would be just fine. *g*

Eliza said...

I'm with Sandy! I've pecked a little on my WIP, but it's been hard to keep a routine the last two months! I figure chill out, enjoy the holidays and all our expected company, attend all the events and crack the whip at myself on January 2 (we're known for having wicked New Year parties 'round here).

To relax I'm reading copiously and watching Upstairs, Downstairs.

Best thing I've read in the past week? A partial for a novel called Salzburg Serenade. ;-)

Camilla said...

My brain is on auto-pilot until Finals are over, but I made a pact with my mother to complete my first draft by the end of January.

Delia DeLeest said...

I've gotten no writing done at all in the last month, and since I don't even celebrate Christmas, I have absolutely no excuse - besides laziness, but I dont want to go there. ;) My 4 kids have a whole month off for winter break, so my crystal ball is telling me that I'm not going to be getting much done in the near future either. I've also just downloaded Sims2 on my computer, so I'm dooooomed!

Christine Koehler said...

Contrary to Carrie’s wonderful advice about writing not editing, I find myself doing a lot more editing than actual writing. I’m writing entirely new scenes, but they’re mostly to replace scenes I’ve taken out and dumped. Some are chopped and redone to fit the current plot. I just don’t have the time to sit and create new stuff, so I tweak and revise all that old stuff. With luck, January will be less hectic, and I’ll get to my 500 words a day goal, but it’s just not looking like that right now.

March is looking good...

Morag McKendrick Pippin said...

I don't write during December. Besides summer this is my husband's busiest season at work, so I do all the deciding on the gifts, shopping, wrapping, sending (read queuing at the post office), Holiday letters, and Christmas cards. Then there are all the parties to attend!
I spend what time I might be writing relaxing and doing something for me so I'm not a flaming bitch for the Holidays:-)

Anonymous said...

I am writing and editting. A confirmed contracted deadline does wonders for the powers of concetration.

But I always make sure whatever the season that I work. If I show up, my muse comes as well and I am a far nicer person when I am writing.

Kim Iverson Headlee said...

First, Carrie, thank you for the heads-up on the great LIBERTY review on DearAuthor.com!

Now, I must answer your "Friday discussion question" -- which I'll usually answer on Mondays since I don't do much online during weekends -- with a confession: this year I am "cheating" by conducting research on my next book rather than actually writing new prose. My husband has been ill, and I've been trying my hardest not to catch it from him, so I've found it best to engage in "interuptable" activities these days. When I get really cranking, and am not interrupted, I have been known to produce 20 pages -- 5,000 words -- in a 8-hour period. I hope to get back to that level of creative activity after Christmas, which we do celebrate.

Marjorie Jones said...

Taking the month off, for the most part. Since I just finished The Flyer, I promised the family a little bit of well-deserved attention. But January 1, I'm back at it... writing a new medieval and finishing up an erotica project that's been calling to me.

Have a great holiday!